The Enterprise of the Future: Implications for the CIO
The purpose of this paper is to highlight the key insights from the IBM Global CEO Study and relate them to the new CIO challenge: driving transformation as "change leaders" and implementing transformation as "change agents," both enterprisewide as key allies of the CEO and within their own IT organizations. CIOs and their IT organizations, like their CEOs, must instill five core traits:
- Hungry for change -- transforming IT applications, services and infrastructures to make them flexible, extensible and secure
- Innovative beyond customer imagination -- enabling collaboration across and beyond the enterprise and turning data into insight
- Globally integrated -- moving toward a shared services model and enabling integrated business operations and supply chains
- Disruptive by nature -- preparing to support the evolving business models of the enterprise, including acquisitions, mergers and divestitures
- Genuine, not just generous -- working to reduce the IT footprint and associated energy use, and to support the enterprise's broader social responsibilities.