Airports Use Network Virtualization to Consolidate and Scale Operations
Unique is the operator of Zurich Airport and offers a broad service portfolio to about 180 other companies, which also reside on the airport. Like many other enterprises, Unique faces the diverging business needs of providing the highest availability of operations while offering maximum flexibility to accommodate the ever changing needs of their business environment.
Their challenge was to offer reliable network service to all tenants on airport ground, meet increasing demand for client connectivity be it wired or wireless, support airport operation applications with a highly reliable network, provide video transmission over a converged network and keep pace with data center growth and demanding cluster applications.
The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch with Supervisor Engine 720-3BXL enabled Unique at Zurich Airport to successfully implement network virtualization using MPLS VPN technology. By moving away from the legacy approach using campuswide Layer 2 VLANs, the following requirements were met:
- Smooth migration without long network disruptions
- Segmentation between the different customers
- Central service zone for shared services
- Accommodation of advanced multicast requirements
- Integration of technologies like WLAN into the network while keeping PWLAN usage separated from operational WLAN traffic