NetBackup Disk Based Data Protection Options
NetBackup has supported simple disk based data protection using disk Storage Units and VTLs for several releases but with the release of NetBackup 6.5 several new and enhanced disk-based features were introduced, including the following:
- Intelligent disk management capabilities to enable more efficient use of server and storage resources.
- Load balancing across multiple NetBackup Media Servers to improve overall backup performance.
- Pre-allocation of disk space to prevent backup failure due to lack of disk space.
- Deduplication features to eliminate redundant data from backup storage.
- Integration with intelligent disk based appliances from leading vendors to allow the user to get optimal value from these solutions.
- Support for ‘off host' duplication with VTLs to provide tracking within NetBackup for backup duplication carried out within the VTL.