In July 2008, VMware commissioned Forrester Consulting to examine the total economic impact and potential ROI of deploying VMware View 3, formerly Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
In conducting in-depth interviews with an existing VMware View healthcare customer, Forrester found an anticipated ROI of between 122% and 128%. Benefits include:
1. PC replacement savings from repurposing old computers as thin clients.
2. IT support staff savings.
3. Improved worker productivity and reduced PC downtime.
4. Electricity savings from purchased thin client machines.
- Improved data and endpoint security by storing information centrally and locking down computers.
- Improved user experience for hospital staff, and physicians.
- Better business continuity and disaster recovery.
This study illustrates the financial impact of moving from a traditional one-PC-per-user model to a centralized, hosted virtual-desktop delivery model, and helps readers develop a business case for investing in VMware View.