This resource is no longer available
Green Storage - Reducing Power Consumption - SD CHI 08
Green is in--and every storage vendor out there has a green story to tell. The need to reduce power consumption in the data center is compelling and storage--accounting for an estimated 40% of data center electrical consumption--is a major target for energy conservation. Despite the vendor hyperbole about the environmental benefits of their products, there are still no standard metrics by which to measure and compare power consumption claims.
This session will take a practical approach to power reduction, and include these topics:
- Just how truthful are vendor claims--what's a marketing talk and what's real
- Available products that can rightfully be called "green"
- What's the best way to measure power consumption
- Facts and Fiction: do larger disks really save power, is solid state the ultimate solution, etc.
- How you can save energy now--without a forklift upgrade
- Storage Decisions
- 29 May 2008
- 01 May 2008